I decided to pen the details and planning involved in organising an afternoon tea event with friends. I had a variety of cakes and it is all possible with advance preparation.
Note: as an alternative to the peanut butter frosting on the choc slice you could do a salted caramel frosting on the choc slice
Make up to 1 month before and freeze – defrost at least 5 hours before serving:
- Pecan Pie slices – freeze slices in layers separated by wax paper in a sealed container
- Little lemon cupcakes without frosting – cool completely and then place in a zip lock plastic bag on a flat baking sheet. Once frozen you can remove the baking sheet
- Choc cake – freeze wrapped in a number of layers of plastic wrap to ensure no air/ moisture can get in
- Cheese pastry biscuits – cool completely and then place in a zip lock plastic bag on a flat baking sheet. Once frozen you can remove the baking sheet. On day of serving place in a hot oven (220 C) for 2 minutes to crisp up again
- Cheesecake slices – these can be frozen or they can be made 3 days in advance and kept in a sealed container in the fridge
2-3 days before:
- Peanut butter frosting OR salted caramel frosting – once cold place in a sealed container in the fridge
- Lemon frosting – place in a disposable piping bag and then in a zip lock bag, store in the fridge.
On the day starting 6 hours before guests arrive:
- Remove all items from the freezer – keep the cheesecake slice, once defrosted, in the fridge, the rest can remain at room temperature
- Place pastry biscuits in a hot oven to crisp up for 2 minutes
- Roast vegetables (cherry tomatoes and peppers) for pastry topping if using
- Spread the peanut butter / salted caramel frosting over the chocolate cake and cut into small slices – then transfer to a sealed container
- Set the table
- Slice cucumber thinly for the pastry biscuits
- Pipe the lemon frosting onto the lemon cupcakes (these should be kept in the fridge but served at room temperature so manage depending on when this fits into your schedule)
- 1 hour before guests arrive make the cheese scones – this should give you enough time to clean up and still have the smell of fresh scones when people arrive
- Assemble the pastry biscuits and place all items on serving plates when guests arrive.