Vanilla sponge squares with white chocolate icing covered in coconut is my husband’s idea of heaven! If you are a white chocolate and coconut fan this recipe is for you. I have had this recipe for a while and have changed it slightly to get it to my idea of perfect. Coating each square in icing and then coconut is time consuming as the idea is to have all sides coated in white chocolate icing and coconut. I have found it easier to set up a bowl of the icing and two plates of coconut lined up after each other. I first dip/cover each square in the icing and then coat in coconut on the first plate after which I coat again in coconut on the second plate. The first plate of coconut will be sticky and the second plate of coconut will seal the squares. These squares can be frozen and enjoyed later so often when I have time I will double the recipe and freeze half for another time.
Makes 18 squares | Bake for 20 minutes at 180 C
3/4 cup (165 grams) white granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup (125 mls) milk
3 tablespoons oil
1 cup (150 grams) flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
- Grease and line the base of a 30x20cm tin
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C
- Whisk sugar, vanilla and eggs and set aside
- Bring milk and oil to boil over medium heat, remove from heat and add to sugar and egg mixture in a slow steady stream while whisking with electric beaters
- Sift flour and baking powder and fold into egg mixture – beat for 20 seconds on low speed
- Pour into prepared tin and bake for 20 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean
- Cool for 5 minutes in tin and then turn on onto a cooling rack face down so the top part of the sponge evens out.
White Chocolate Icing
200 grams white chocolate
1 cup (250mls) cream
25 grams butter
200 grams dessicated coconut
- Bring 2/3 cups of cream to boil, once cream begins to bubble remove from heat and stir in white chocolate and butter. Leave to cool.
- Whisk the remaining cream until fluffy and then whisk in white chocolate mixture. Keep whisking until the icing is the same consistency as yogurt.
- Cut the sponge into squares.
- Dip/cover squares with icing and then roll in coconut.
- Chill squares in fridge to set before serving.
If you like these, you might like: