These are not only delicious but also nutritious and are great for lunch boxes as they are a healthier alternative to chocolates/sweets. These bars are wheat-free and packed with nutrient rich sesame seeds, which contain an abundant source of essential minerals such as calcium, iron and phosphorous. In addition sesame seeds contain vitamin E, folic acid and niacin.
These bars store well and can be kept for up to week in an airtight container. The size of the tin used can vary slightly so if you have a different size tin just change the baking time accordingly.
Tips: Use porridge/quick cooking oats as it hold the bars together better and also line the base and sides of the tin which will make removing the bars effortless.
Makes 24 bars| Baking time 30-35 minutes| Quick and easy
150 grams unsalted butter
1/4 cup (90 grams) golden syrup
3/4 cup (170 grams) soft brown sugar
3 1/2 cups (390 grams) porriage oats
3/4 cup (125 grams) sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C
- Line a 30×23 cm tin (line the sides and base)
- Melt butter, golden syrup and sugar over medium heat
- Mix oats and sesame seeds together and add to melted butter and mix until combined
- Press into prepared tin and smooth surface with the back of a spoon
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until very golden brown.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes before cutting into squares (you will need them to be firm enough for cutting but not too hard to make it difficult to cut)
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container for up to a week