This is a no-churn ice cream recipe made with evaporated milk. You will be amazed how delicious and creamy it tastes. I have the chocolate as optional as this also makes a lovely vanilla ice cream. When serving, place in the fridge for 30 minutes before scooping.
Makes 2 litres|Freeze overnight + chilling time
Utensils required: Electric whisk|Measuring cups & spoons & scale| 2 litre metal tin
1 tin evaporated milk refrigerated overnight
300 mls double cream
190 grams castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
150 grams dark chocolate – 70 % cocoa solids (optional)
- Place a 2 litre metal bowl in the freezer, preferably overnight
- Heat chocolate over boiling water until melted, then set aside to cool
- Beat the evaporated milk with electric beaters until it thickens and ripples form, about 2 minutes
- Add the castor sugar a tablespoon a time while beating
- Add double cream and beat for another 2 minutes until thick, then stir in vanilla
- Add melted chocolate and stir into ice cream mixture. The chocolate with harden when reaching the cold mixture so stir to disperse the chocolate strands.
- Pour into the metal container and freeze overnight